Planet Fitness Inc., Hampton, New Hampshire, gave out its 2019 Franchise Awards to seven franchisees, including its Hall of Fame Award, the company announced.
"We applaud all of the outstanding franchisees in our system and are honored to recognize several groups for their phenomenal work and dedication to growing our brand, servicing our members, developing their teams, and giving back to their local communities,” Chris Rondeau, Planet Fitness’ chief executive officer, said in a media release. "This year’s nominees are great examples of franchisee excellence and leadership.”
The 2019 Planet Fitness Franchise Awards were given to the following:
- Hall of Fame: Jeff and James Innocenti – PF Supreme
- Franchisee of the Year: Mike Turner and CJ Bouchard – Excel Fitness
- Operator of the Year: Steve Kindler, Jr. – National Fitness Partners
- Developer of the Year: Tim Kelleher – Taymax Group
- Marketer of the Year: Shane McGuiness and Eric Dore, Glenn Dowler and Michael Hicks – Sunshine Fitness
- People First Award: Mark Christie, George, Nick and Greg Mourgenos – Ohio Fit Management
- Judgement Free Generation Award: Bryan Rief and Pete Hopkins – PF Michigan Group LLC
Planet Fitness did not respond to clarification on where the awards were given.
The company ranked No. 6 on Club Industry’s Top 100 Clubs list with $572.9 million in 2018 revenue from corporate owned locations and franchisee fees (but not individual franchisee revenue).
It was recently named to Fortune magazine's 2019 ‘100 Fastest-Growing Companies’ list, ranking 58 among the world's top three-year performers in revenues, profits and stock returns. The company was ranked sixth on Forbes 2019 list of 'America's Best Franchises,' which ranks brands on health and appeal. The company also placed ninth on Entrepreneur's 2019 'Fastest Growing Franchises' list which measures companies' ability to scale fast and take their franchisees to the next level, and seventh on Entrepreneur's 2019 'Franchise 500' list.
Planet Fitness also faces a sexual discrimination lawsuit filed by a former female employee in the corporate office.