The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) in Newark has broken ground on a $102 million Wellness and Events Center.
The university describes the 200,000-square-foot building as “equal parts a fitness center, a study space, a gathering spot and a sports arena that will double as a conference and events center.” Construction is scheduled to be completed in 2017.
The entire north side of the three-story building will be windows, which bring ample daylight into the building.
The construction project is part of a renovation plan that reflects the NJIT’S evolution from a commuter school to a research university, according to the university.
Among the amenities planned for the center are:
- A 25-meter swimming pool with diving area
- A fitness center with cardio equipment and weights
- An indoor, 10,000-square-foot turf space
- Two practice courts for intramural and intercollegiate sports
- A running track encircling the concourse of the first-floor arena
- A 3,500-seat arena with retractable bleachers
The center also will provide a home court for university athletic teams, which have outgrown the Fleisher Center, built in the 1960s.