A tanning bed caught on fire at Anytime Fitness in Hurricane, UT, Thursday, destroying the club and two nearby businesses and injuring a firefighter.
The fire occurred Thursday evening when a tanning bed that was in use started making a popping noise and began smoking. The member who was using the bed at the time escaped from the club uninjured, according to a St. George News article.
A fitness instructor tried to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, but it kept reigniting.
One of the 32 firefighters who responded to the call was injured when the ceiling collapsed, according to the article. He was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries and then released.
The fire caused significant damage to the roof above the tanning bed. The fire department deemed the building unsafe, according to an article on Fox13.com. Two other businesses in the building sustained smoke and fire damage.
Rodger Adams, owner of the Anytime Fitness gym, told Fox13.com that he will try to re-open the club after sorting through insurance issues and making repairs. On the club’s Facebook page, Adams says that although the club is in “very rough shape,” he is grateful that no one was injured.
“Our Hurricane Anytime Fitness is out of commission due to a fire,” he says in the post. “I really want to thank the great members of our own gym and this Hurricane, Utah, community. The love and support we have received is unreal. We have had offers for temporary space already, and will get going on that as soon as insurance will allow us to. We will be back!”
Note: To see photos of the damage and the outpouring of support from members, view the club’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AnytimeFitnessHurricaneUt/timeline.