A $28 million community recreation center featuring three basketball courts, a competition pool and a fitness area looped by two tracks is being constructed for the residents of Montrose, Colorado.
“For all the folks who have been waiting for this for decades and decades, my line is ‘good things come to those who wait,’” Montrose Recreation District Executive Director Ken Sherbenou told Club Industry. “There has definitely been a gap in the infrastructure in Montrose for a long time.”
The Montrose Aquatics Center is currently the District’s primary facility in the western Colorado town of just over 19,000, but it is nearly 30 years old, and many current recreation programs are held offsite at maintained or rented spaces around the city.
Montrose voters approved a base plan for the new facility in April 2014, but there was a concern it would become quickly overburdened. That concern developed into an ‘enhanced’ plan to help future-proof the facility.
The enhanced plan includes a larger lap pool and dual walking tracks. There also will be a therapy space operated by the Montrose Memorial Hospital.
Scherbenou said the enhanced plan is almost fully funded through local fundraising efforts and through contributions from the Daniels Fund ($500,000) and the Colorado Department of Local Affairs ($1.9 million). He called the city a “key partner” in making the new recreation center possible and said additional outdoor space offers future expansion capabilities.
When the new center opens, the old facility will still find use in a different capacity: the pool will be filled and turned into an artificial turf field.
“This is really going to help Montrose to continue to improve and have a more positive long-term outlook as a community,” Scherbenou said. “Montrose is truly a city on the rise. There’s a lot of excitement for a pretty small community. It’s going to be amazing to bring this facility online in a great community.”
The enhanced plan for the new center includes:
- Gym with three basketball courts (15,977 square feet)
- Competition pool (6,881 square feet)
- Leisure pool with water slides and play equipment (4,624 square feet)
- Game room (1,324 square feet)
- Therapy room (1,157 square feet)
- Two locker rooms, male and female, (950 square feet)
- Gym storage (930 square feet)
- Two racquetball courts (813 square feet)
- Child watch room (638 square feet)
- Indoor play area for children (476 square feet)
- Lobby (402 square feet)
- Two party rooms (367, 365 square feet)
- Climbing room (319 square feet)
- Two interlocking tracks
- Fitness area (5,135 square feet)
- Track area (4,002 square feet)
- Fitness zone (1,938 square feet)
- Cardio area (1,154 square feet)