Wellness Center in Georgia Reopens after Dealing with Carbon Monoxide Leak

Two members at the Wellness Center, Navicent, in Macon were treated for exposure to the dangerous gas. The leak was blamed on corrosion in a boiler.

A wellness center in Macon, GA, has reopened after a carbon monoxide leak over the weekend forced it to close for two days. Two members who had been exercising in the center’s gymnasium area were treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The incident took place on Saturday at the Wellness Center, Navicent Health, says Megan Allen, a spokesperson for Navicent, which is a hospital that is part of the Central Georgia Health System. After the two members began to experience the effects of exposure to carbon monoxide, the facility was shut down immediately. They were treated at Medical Center, Navicent, in Macon and subsequently released.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea and breathlessness. Exposure could lead to loss of consciousness or death.

Club personnel notified others who were in the exposed section of the center on Saturday about the potential danger. Anyone who experienced symptoms from the exposure to the gas was urged to report to the medical center, but no one else sought treatment.

Allen says the problem was traced to corrosion in a boiler that caused carbon monoxide to escape into one room of the wellness center. That boiler has been removed from service, and subsequent tests have determined that there is no longer a threat to club members or workers.

The wellness center reopened on Monday. Navicent will continue to monitor conditions in the facility to make sure the center is safe, Allen says.

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish